I lead BigData@CSAIL and
co-direct the Intel Science and Technology Center (ISTC) in Big Data.
- Short bio
- Ph.D. (Berkeley) 2003; M.Eng. (MIT) 1999; B.S. (MIT) 1999.
- Spring, 2017, 6.S062: Mobile and Sensor Computing
- Fall, 2016, 6.830/6.814
- Spring, 2016, 6.S062: Mobile and Sensor Computing
- Fall, 2015, 6.830/6.814
- Spring, 2015, 6.033 (sections)
- Fall, 2014, 6.830/6.814
- Spring, 2014, 6.033 (lectures, with Dina Katabi)
- Fall, 2013, 6.885: From ASCII to Answers
- Spring, 2013, 6.830/6.814
- Spring, 2012, 6.830/6.814
- Spring, 2010, 6.033 (lectures, with Robert Morris)
- Fall 2009, Database Systems(6.830)
- Spring, 2009, 6.033 (lectures, with Robert Morris)
- Fall 2008, Database Systems(6.830)
- Fall 2007, Database Systems(6.830)
- Spring 2007, 6.033 (sections)
- Fall 2006, Database Systems(6.830)
- Spring 2006, 6.033 (sections)
- Fall 2005, Database Systems(6.830)
- Spring 2005, 6.033 (lectures, with Hari Balakrishnan)
- Fall 2004, Database Systems (6.893)
- Spring 2004, 6.033 (sections)
Research My primary research focus is on database systems,
including main memory databases, data warehousing/analytics, database-as-a-service, and querying data streams and networks of
distributed devices such as wireless sensor networks.
Recent and current research projects and interests include:
Past projects include:
- Datahub, a "github for data" platform that provides hosted database storage, versioning, ingest, search, and visualization.
- BlinkDB A system for runing queries with bounded errors and bounded response times on very large data
- Silo, a main memory high throughput transaction processing system that uses novel concurrency control algorithms and lock free data structures to provide scalability without partitioning.
- SciDB, a multi-institution project developing a data management platform for scientific applications, including astronomy and computational biology.
- Relational Cloud, a project looking at building a scalable database service for the cloud.
- H-Store, a next generation high-performance OLTP engine.
Current Ph.D. students:
- Favyen Bastani
- Joana Matos Fonseca de Trindade
- Albert Kim
- Yi Lu
- Oscar Moll
- Anil Shanbhag
- Manasi Vartak
Graduated Ph.D. students:
Graduated M.Eng. students:
Awards and Honors
- C. V. Ramamoorthy Distinguished Research Award, UC Berkeley, 2003
- VLDB 2004 Best Paper Award
- NSF CAREER Award (Project Page), 2005
- MIT TR35 Outstanding Researcher Under the Age of 35, 2005
- MobiCom Best Paper Award, 2006
- SenSys Best Demo Award, 2006
- Sloan Fellowship, 2007
- IBM Facutly Development Award, 2007
- VLDB Best Paper Award, 2007
- Sensys Best Paper Award, 2009
- VLDB Best Demo Award, 2011
- CIDR Best Paper Award, 2013
- SIGMOD Test of Time Award ("Acqusitional Query Processing, SIGMOD 2003"), 2013
- VLDB Test of Time Award ("C-Store, VLDB 2005"), 2015
- SIGMOD Contributions Award, 2016
- SIGMOD Test of Time Award ("Fault-tolerance in the Borealis distributed stream processing system, SIGMOD 2005"), 2017
- I am the Chief Scientist of Cambridge Mobile Telematics, a Cambridge, MA-based startup that develops solutions to make roads safter by making drivers better.
- I am a technical advisor to Trifacta, a Bay Area startup focused on making people more productive with their data.
- I am a technical advisor to Map-D, a GPU-based database analytics and visualization startup.
- I am a technical advisor to Instabase, a platform to help people solve problems with data.
- I am a technical advisor to B12, a startup focused on orchestrating creative workers to help build technology products.
- I was a co-founder of Vertica, a column-oriented database system. Vertica was acquired by HP in 2011.
Miscellaneous Technical Articles and Software
- SIGMOD 2004 Demo Committee
- OSDI 2004 Program Committee
- Organizer of the 2004 DMSN Workshop on Data Management in Wireless Sensor Networks held with VLDB 2004.
- CIDR 2005 Program Committee
- ICDE 2005 Program Committee
- SIGMOD 2005 Program Committee
- VLDB 2005 Program Committee
- Organizer of the 2005 DMSN Workshop on Data Management in Wireless Sensor Networks held with VLDB 2005.
- IPSN 2006 Program Committee
- SIGMOD 2006 Demo Committee
- KDD 2006 Program Committee
- SenSys 2006 Program Committee
- SenSys 2006 Publications Chair
- SIGMOD 2007 Program Committee
- CIDR 2007 Program Committee
- DCOSS 2007 Systems Subcommitte Program Chair
- VLDB 2007 Program Committee
- VLDB 2008 Industrial Track Program Committee
- SIGMOD 2008 Program Committee
- IPSN 2008 PC Co-Chair
- ICDE 2009 Program Committee
- PVLDB 2010 Program Committee
- PVLDB 2011 Program Commitee
- SIGMOD 2011 Program Committee
- Editorial Board Member, Internet Computing (2006--2014)
- Editorial Board Member, Transactions on Sensor Networks (2005--2010)
- SIGMOD 2016 Program Chair